LET’S MAKE EARTH DAY BE EVERY DAY!
Earth Day celebrates its 40th anniversary this year! When Senator Gaylord Nelson of Wisconsin proclaimed April 22, 1970 to be Earth Day, more than 20 million people participated in events to help clean up the environment. Today Earth Day is observed around the world, with events planned to encourage environmentally aware behaviors, such as recycling, reducing or reusing disposable items, using energy efficiently, reducing air pollution, conserving our natural resources, and using chemicals safely or reducing their use as much as possible!
What are some of the benefits for the environment and our health when we eliminate using household cleaners containing harmful chemicals?
Benefits for the environment:
- The harmful chemicals in cleaning products go down drains and accumulate in our water supply, hurting us and the environment.
- Many cleaning products contain petroleum, a non-renewable resource.
- Carcinogens and other chemicals in cleaning products all eventually end up in the environment, where they are very persistent (in many cases non-biodegradable) and damaging to wildlife and ecosystems and may end up back in your drinking water.
Benefits for our health:
- Reduce the presence of Volatile Organic Compounds, or VOCs, in the air. VOCs come from some cleaning products and most air-fresheners. They can lead to headaches, depression, and loss of focus.
- Childhood asthma rates are increasing (it has jumped by 400% in Canada), which means that
- these children have more sensitive lungs that will be affected more strongly by fumes from cleaning products.
- According to the EPA, these chemicals can impair your performance with the following health effects: eye, nose, and throat irritation; headaches, loss of coordination, nausea; damage to liver, kidney, and central nervous system. Some chemicals are suspected or known to cause cancer in humans.The truth is that everything single thing we do every day has an impact on the planet — good or bad. The good news is that as individuals we have the power to control most of our choices and, therefore, the impact we create.
NORWEX is committed to radically reducing the use of chemicals in its cleaning and personal care products to promote good health, reduce the risk of poisoning, and decrease the negative impact of household pollutants on our environment!
We provide safe alternatives to the toxic and harmful commercial products that are on the market today. Our products are environmentally friendly, reduce our exposure to toxic fumes,they help us save money and time.
I am excited and pleased to introduce them to you!
LET’S MAKE EARTH DAY BE EVERY DAY!!