CARING FOR OUR BABIES, TODDLERS, AND CHILDREN…Emerging Issues regarding Chemicals
“Rates of asthma, childhood cancers, birth defects and developmental disorders have exponentially increased…. So what has changed? All the chemicals we’re being exposed to!”
— Dr. Leo Trasande, Children’s Health and the Environment, Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York City.
Why are children at greater risk from toxic chemicals?
- In proportion to their size, children breathe more air, drink more water and eat more food than adults. This puts them at greater risk of exposure to pollutants.
- Children’s bodies are also less able to metabolize, detoxify and expunge these pollutants.
- They live closer to the ground, playing on floors , thus are exposed to more dust, household cleaners, and other items that contain toxins.
- They often put their hands and other objects into their mouths.
How can these harmful exposures be prevented?
- Don’t bring toxins into your home, and remove existing ones from your home.
- Keep children away from toxins.
- Read product labels and follow directions. Look for words like caution, warning, flammable, harmful, danger, poison. These tell you that a product may be hazardous.
- Store pesticides and toxic chemicals where kids can’t reach them – never put them in other containers that kids can mistake for food or drink.
- If you’re pregnant, don’t use hazardous products.
NORWEX provides a safe alternative to toxic chemicals!!
- Norwex is committed to promoting good health and reducing the risk of poisoning and disease by reducing the use of chemicals in its products!!
- Norwex antibacterial microfiber cloths reduce cleaning compounds in your home by up to 90%
- The dust, dirt, and grime on your floors are picked up with the Norwex MopPads and JUST WATER!
- You and your family members don’t have to breathe toxic fumes or ingest chemicals anymore!
Some suggested products especially for babies and toddlers include:
- Antibac Baby Hooded Towel Set – includes a soft, absorbent hooded towel and face cloth for baths.
- Antibac Baby Body Pack – smaller size microfiber cloths are great for babies and toddlers.
- Antibac Microfiber Bath Towels, Cloths, Bath Mats – super absorbent, light weight for older children.
- Odour Eliminator – excellent deodorant for your baby’s changing room, washrooms, garbage cans. Moms who use cloth diapers LOVE to add a capful of this to their laundry.
- Ultra Power Plus Laundry Detergent – gentle, biodegradable, no fillers, safe on all fabrics.
- Superior Mop Package – no chemicals, just water.
If you have any questions, or would like more information, please contact me. I would enjoy telling you about all of the wonderful Norwex products!
(1) PRESS RELEASE: TOXIC CHEMICALS FOUND IN AMERICANS Huntington Station, NY, November 8th, 2007
(2) Larry B. Silver, MD Children’s Environmental Health January 2007