Cleaning agents differ in their classification of health hazards; some cause serious or immediate dangers such as skin irritations, respiratory and eye irritation to illness such as reproductive and respiratory disorders as well as major diseases such as cancer. A health hazard commonly associated with using window glass cleaners would be inhalation of the mist emitted from the bottle or getting the chemical into your eyes. Ingestion of the chemicals could pose a serious health risk.
What’s in your window cleaner?
Some of the chemicals typically found in window cleaners include ammonia and isopropanol. Ammonia is known to be a powerful chemical agent that is diluted for household cleaning products and is highly poisonous. Exposure to high concentrations of ammonia can cause burning of the eyes, nose, throat and respiratory tract and can result in blindness, lung damage or death. Inhalation of lower concentrations can cause coughing, and nose and throat irritation. Swallowing ammonia can cause burns to the mouth, throat and stomach. Skin or eye contact with concentrated ammonia can also cause irritation and burns. *