Dirty Oven? Are you concerned about how to clean it with traditional cleaners and looking for a more natural option?
There are reported cases of damage to humans and home appliances with the frequent use of traditional oven cleaners. A common toxic chemical compound found in these products is sodium hydroxide, or “caustic soda”, that possesses a very high level of alkaline that may readily be the main cause of a lot of damage if not used properly.
Be careful to check labels for the terms like “corrosive” or “caustic” which indicates it contains caustic agents like potassium and potassium hydroxide. An oven cleaner having caustic ingredients may provide an effective cleaning product but those ingredients can be potentially hazardous to health and the environment. Beware of oven cleaners fumes since those chemicals can be inhaled and are very harmful. In addition corrosive alkali causes chemical burns to the skin or in lungs if inhaled. Special precautions are required when handling caustic oven cleaners.
There are some scary symptoms associated with corrosive chemical poisoning, including:
- Difficulty in breathing
- Swelling throat
- Vision loss
- Abdominal pains
- Bloody stools
- Burns of the esophagus
- Vomiting of blood
- Low blood pressure
- Skin irritations
Other common chemical ingredients of oven cleaners include monoethalomine and diethanolamine. Keep children away from such chemical products; these ingredients are very dangerous and must be used with extreme caution.
Oven cleaners are one of the most toxic products found in households according to the American Association of Poison Control (AAPCC). “Poison centers answer more than 3.6 million calls each year. That’s one call every eight seconds. According to the American Association of Poison Centers, children younger than 6 years old account for about half of the calls placed to poison centers.” ”*
Oven cleaners contain lye, which can irritate and burn skin, and ammonia, whose fumes, on inhalation, can cause respiratory effects.
Other common ingredients found in oven cleaners include ethers, ethylene glycol, methylene chloride, petroleum distillates and pine oil. Being educated about the dangers of chemicals in the home is key.
One of my favorite Norwex products to demonstrate at home parties is the Norwex Oven and Grill Cleaner. The Norwex Oven and Grill Cleaner is formulated for the most difficult cleaning tasks. Enzymes in the bottle dissolve baked-on, burnt on foods and greasy stubborn spills so that they can easily be wiped away without caustic chemicals or fumes. It is water based and biodegradable. BUY NOW and you can easily clean your oven or grill in MINUTES! Better yet…CONTACT ME to schedule a home party and I can demonstrate it for you!
If you continue to use chemical based cleaning products, you will want to educate yourself on what to do if there were an emergency or accident. During emergency cases involving oven cleaners poisoning, here are some helpful reminders:
- Immediately seek medical help. Do not make the poisoned person throw up unless instructed by a health care professional.
- Flush with lots of water for at least 15 minutes if the chemical comes in contact with the skin or the eyes.
- If accidental ingestion occurs, immediately give the poisoned person water or milk unless otherwise instructed by a health professional.
- Ensure the person is relocated to an area with fresh air.
The best alternative to toxic oven cleaners is simple prevention. You can prevent the need for cleaning by using foil-lined cookie sheets under food to catch drips as well as spot clean immediately after your oven cools down.
Finally, if you prefer a non-toxic option try the Norwex spirinett and water! This is great for quick touch ups in-between using your Oven and Grill Cleaner.
One interesting excerpt from the above referenced EPA Link under the title “What chemical-containing products are in your home?” discusses some storage tips if you do choose to have toxic chemicals in a home with young children.
Household products should be kept in a locked cabinet and out of children’s reach. Common products that could seriously harm a child if ingested include:
- bath and kitchen disinfectants and sanitizers, including bleach
- household cleaning or maintenance products, such as drain cleaner, paints, or glues
- automotive products stored around the home, such as anti-freeze or windshield washer fluid
- health or beauty care products such as medicines, hair and nail products
- roach sprays and baits
- insect repellents
- rat and other rodent poisons
- weed killers
- products used to kill mold or mildew
- flea and tick shampoos, powders, and dips for pets
- swimming pool chemicals