CARING FOR OUR BABIES, TODDLERS, AND CHILDREN…Emerging Issues regarding Chemicals
“Rates of asthma, childhood cancers, birth defects and developmental disorders have exponentially increased…. So what has changed? All the chemicals we’re being exposed to!”
– Dr. Leo Trasande, Children’s Health and the Environment, Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York City.
Why are children at greater risk from toxic chemicals?
- In proportion to their size, children breathe more air, drink more water and eat more food than adults. This puts them at greater risk of exposure to pollutants.
- Children’s bodies are also less able to metabolize, detoxify and expunge these pollutants.
- They live closer to the ground, playing on floors , thus are exposed to more dust, household cleaners, and other items that contain toxins.
- They often put their hands and other objects into their mouths.
How can these harmful exposures be prevented?
- Don’t bring toxins into your home, and remove existing ones from your home.
- Keep children away from toxins.
- Read product labels and follow directions. Look for words like caution, warning, flammable, harmful, danger, poison. These tell you that a product may be hazardous.
- Store pesticides and toxic chemicals where kids can’t reach them – never put them in other containers that kids can mistake for food or drink.
- If you’re pregnant, don’t use hazardous products.
NORWEX provides a safe alternative to toxic chemicals!!
- Norwex is committed to promoting good health and reducing the risk of poisoning and disease by reducing the use of chemicals in its products!!
- Norwex antibacterial microfiber cloths reduce cleaning compounds in your home by up to 90%
- The dust, dirt, and grime on your floors are picked up with the Norwex MopPads and JUST WATER!
- You and your family members don’t have to breathe toxic fumes or ingest chemicals anymore!
Some suggested products especially for babies and toddlers include:
- Antibac Baby Hooded Towel Set – includes a soft, absorbent hooded towel and face cloth for baths.
- Antibac Baby Body Pack – smaller size microfiber cloths are great for babies and toddlers.
- Antibac Microfiber Bath Towels, Cloths, Bath Mats – super absorbent, light weight for older children.
- Odour Eliminator – excellent deodorant for your baby’s changing room, washrooms, garbage cans. Moms who use cloth diapers LOVE to add a capful of this to their laundry.
- Ultra Power Plus Laundry Detergent – gentle, biodegradable, no fillers, safe on all fabrics.
- Superior Mop Package – no chemicals, just water.
If you have any questions, or would like more information, please contact me. I would enjoy telling you about all of the wonderful Norwex products!
(1) PRESS RELEASE: TOXIC CHEMICALS FOUND IN AMERICANS Huntington Station, NY, November 8th, 2007
(2) Larry B. Silver, MD Children’s Environmental Health January 2007
Want to have fun with your children while completing household tasks together?? Want to teach your children environmental responsibility by showing them how to reduce the use of harmful chemicals while helping you clean?? Do you want your children to learn how this impacts their own health, hygiene, and personal surroundings?? Then check-out the new Norwex Kids Line!
The Kids Cloth Package (sized for children) includes a bright green Kids Mitt, an orange Kids Window Cloth, and a blue Kids Enviro Cloth, all with colorful trims. The ergonomic Kids Mop Package also incorporates a bright colored handle and mop base. Bright colors are “active” colors and some studies have suggested that they can help inspire a positive attitude and an increased energy level. Just what we need for motivating us to clean!!
Let’s begin cleaning together in the child’s bedroom. You and your child can dust the dressers, headboards, pictures, ornaments, toy chest, blinds, and the desk or computer station using your own Antibac Dusting Mitts! These putzy tasks can be completed so quickly that dusting does not become a tedious chore….no waxy, chemical sprays necessary, no need to constantly change sides on a dirty dusting rag that just smears the dust around! The antibac microfiber produces an electrostatic charge pulling the dust and debris into the mitt. Remember to use the Norwex Optic Cloth to wipe the computer and TV screens.
Any remaining grime or stains can be removed by using Antibac Enviro Cloths slightly dampened with water only. These cloths are also good for wiping spots on the walls or carpeting and cleaning toys and spills. They can be used on the mirrors or windows, followed by polishing with the Window Cloths. One of the best rewards from using these Norwex products is that you and your child can see the results of your efforts immediately….and there are no obnoxious fumes! Afterwards, everything can be put back into place and arranged neatly for an orderly feeling.
Parents, there are also other Norwex products that you can use in your bedroom and your child’s bedroom. One is the Mattress Cleaner. Just spray lightly on the mattress, pillows, and items such as stuffed toys. Let dry for about 4 hours before putting on the clean bedding. It can also be used on your sofa and lounging chairs in the living room/family room. It eliminates dust mites and all organic matter, such as skin cells . The Carpet Stain Buster is great for spot cleaning, shampooing, eliminating protein stains such as urine and vomit, and getting rid of odors. Tougher scuff marks on the walls or floors can be eliminated by using the Micro Hand Pad. Actually, your child could also use this product under your supervision, especially if he or she used crayons on the walls!!
Let’s move on to the living room/family room! The same products in the Kids Cloth Package and some of those used to clean the bedrooms can also be used here for cleaning furniture, blinds, ceiling fans, windows, entertainment centers, pictures, lamp bases, knick knacks, and even plants! Inform your child about the dangerous chemicals found in commercial rug cleaners, furniture polish, air fresheners, and all purpose cleaners. Explain in terms that your child can understand that these chemicals can make you sick and irritate the skin, eyes, and respiratory tract or nose. Emphasize how Norwex reduces the use of harmful chemicals in its products and that a lot of cleaning can be done simply with water and a microfiber cloth!
The Kids Mop Package is the perfect example of cleaning without chemicals!! First, you use the Dry Mop to pick up the debris, dust, and hair. Your child will have fun moving the mop in a figure 8 technique and you will be pleased with the effectiveness of the mop! The Antibac Wet Mop, dampened with water only, cleans your floor without chemicals. Your floors will be streak-free too. The Norwex Mop System can be used on all types of floors, including hardwood, laminate, tile, vinyl, and marble. Mop Base Brackets can be attached to the base to fasten an Enviro Cloth to reach places hard to clean such as windows, ceilings, and ceiling fans. Use the Rubber Brush in a downward motion to remove debris from the dry mop. Hang the mop and the cloths on the Mop and Cloth Hanger when finished.
Reward your child’s cleaning efforts with lots of praise and the bright orange Kids Back Pack. This pack is practical for carrying lunches or gym clothes or for bringing fun items along on a hike or to the park. Cleaning with Norwex products is a great way to spend time together while you show your child something of value that he or she can use in their daily lives for many years to come!!
A fun story from a favorite hostess of mine named Christine who managed a child care:
I have to tell you how much I love those cute little antibac baby body pack cloths…
These little travel-sized facial cloths are unbelievably wonderful! I have them everywhere… I did family child care and I took them on field trips to wash the kido’s hands whenever needed, especially before meals. When the little ones were in the highchairs, I used them to clean their faces and hands while they are learning to eat, makes for a much easier clean up when you have 10 kids eating at the same time!
Have you ever had a little one with a raw bottom from nasty diapers? Take the “blue” one (b for blue = b for bathroom) so you know that it’s always the bathroom color cloth, and gently clean your little one’s bottom. Not only does it clean it, but it’s soft and it’s antibacterial and a whole lot better than a normal washrag! It really helps to heal the infections fast.
I pack these wet in a little zip lock bag, put them in the lunch bags my older children take to school; that way I know they always have clean hands when they sit down at the lunch table and helps to keep those school germs away.
Don’t forget to keep them in your purse/bag and cars…take them with you when you are shopping, eating dinner out or having fun!